Amelia ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lydia ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Julius ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Oh the Places We'll Go...day 2

Our second day we woke up to a cold (38 degrees F) West Virginia! We enjoyed some Continental Breakfast and got on the road around 8:30am. We decided that we would try to get up earlier on day 3, which we found to be pretty easy considering the time change! We continued through West Virginia, into Kentucky, then Indiana, and finally Illinois.

We dug into our stash of food today; I had packed lots of unsalty snacks in order to avoid swollen ankles. The fresh apples and peaches were especially delicious, thanks Mom and Dad for preparing those! Also, I forgot to mention that Mom made some cinnamon covered pecans and peanuts which were gone in I think the first day and a half, right Dad? And Emily made chocolate chip cookies that didn't survive the first day :) You guys were too good to us!


We passed into Kentucky about an hour into our day, so that meant we stopped after just an hour of driving. You all know how Dad would normally feel about that...but we were beginning to have fun looking for Wal-marts at this point (where we got our state t), so I think we were both ok with stopping. It also broke up some of the time for the dogs and we didn't have to make too many stops for them.

Sorry this is so far away, just imagine the pregnant woman running to get into the picture! I nearly had to fly over the bushes to get there in time and then with it being so far away we couldn't see the light flash on the camera anyway! So now imagine Dad and I talking about whether it had been long enough :)

We passed into Indiana around 12:30pm, and also into Central Time, so now we are 1 hour behind J-ville. We stopped at a Wal-mart of course and bought lunch at the deli. We then tied the dogs to a tree in the parking lot and ate in the truck with the windows down! :)


The weather was gradually getting warmer, thus we shed our winter coats. Not sure why Indiana has a Southern welcome center...surely it's not that big of a state. Also not sure why it's lemon yellow, unless it's supposed to make it easier to find, in which case it was not. I was driving and Dad was on the phone with Johnny, so I didn't see the beyond bright welcome center and ended up turning the wrong way and going back into downtown Louisville, KY. I think I'd like to visit there one day, the one block we drove around was very nice. I stacked the camera on two boxes of candy on the hood...what do you think happened to the candy? You guessed it! We lost one box of Reese's Pieces but were able to save the Junior Mints :)

We got to see this cool, giant clock thanks to my mix up. This was our second time passing into Indiana :)

For those of you who don't know, Nick is an Indianapolis Colts fan so Dad and I decided to drive into Indianapolis to try and find him some Colts memorabilia. On the way we passed the Speedway, Nick was pretty jealous of this! I did find him some Colts stuff too! We also got authentic (because they are from Indiana!) Hoosiers t-shirts!! We didn't actually make it into Indianapolis because the neighborhood began to get questionable.

Into Illinois we went around 6:00pm. There was a good place to set the camera, so no leaning your head to the right :)
I have a bit of a tree fetish, so when I see pretty trees I take pics! This tree was in the nice pet area at the welcome center...the dogs enjoyed a little exercise!
We decided Illinois, and later Iowa, are pretty much just fields and wind turbines! They were really cool to see, at least the first few hundred, right Dad?!
I thought the sunset in Illinois was really pretty, however the camera thought the dead bugs on the windshield were more interesting! So, if you can see past the fact that we had driven all day without cleaning the windshield, the sunset was very nice!
We had so much fun today but were so ready to stop that night. We found a pet friendly Holiday Inn Express, we had some Taco Bell for dinner and decided we would find an Illinois t-shirt in the morning. The time change didn't help because it meant we were tired at 8:00pm CT because it was 9:00pm ET. By the way, my ankles were doing really well and I was still pretty comfortable in the car. We went to bed early so we did have an earlier start on day 3!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

I love that you did pictures with each state sign! Wish we would've done that! I was laughing picturing the pregnant woman running to get in the picture and then you guys wondering if it had taken :) You guys are a cute father/daughter team! You need to go on The Amazing Race!

Em said...

I'm loving the little play by play of the Kentucky picture. Ha ha!! I could so see both of you having that conversation with a smile plastered on your faces. =0) The trip so far looks awesome!!

Kerriann, John and the Girls said...

I love the narration of the trip I feel like I'm in a movie waiting to see what will happen next..love ya miss ya

Katie said...

I agree - it makes me laugh to myself (and outloud a bit) to think of you first hurdling over the bushes, pregnant, and then both of you standing there smiling and muttering about whether it had taken or not! I also agree with Shauna - we should look into the amazing race with Dad!!

Gail said...

The blog is wonderful! Enjoyed reading and laughing, don't jump over too many bushes! Be careful and enjoy the ride!
Love,
Gail